Inspection Checklist for Tenants and LandlordsIn order for your unit to pass inspection, it must meet certain requirements of the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The list below covers those items which most commonly cause a unit to fail and inspection.
Please inspect your unit BEFORE you request an inspection to avoid any delays in the beginning date of the lease and contract. No payments can be made for any period prior to a unit passing an initial inspection.
Remember, your unit must pass inspection annually within the allotted time frame or payments will stop.
- 1. All utilities such as water, gas and electricity must be in service.
- 2. Working smoke detectors are required in every unit and on every level.
- 3. Cooking stove and oven must be clean and in working order.
- 4. Refrigerator must be clean and in working order.
- 5. There must be a heating system that works.
- 6. There must be hot and cold running water in the kitchen and bathroom(s).
- 7. There must be a shower or bathtub that works and does not leak.
- 8. There must be a secure flush toilet that works and does not leak.
- 9. The bathroom must have either a window to the outside with a screen, OR an exhaust fan.
- 10. There must not be any plugged drains (check for slow drains).
- 11. All windows and doors must have locks that work and all exterior doors must have working deadbolts (inside cannot be keyed - must be butterfly type lock).
- 12. Each room with a window must have at least one window screen in good condition.
- 13. All bedrooms must have at least one window or exterior door with a screen.
- 14. All electrical outlets must have cover plates and be in good condition. All outlets must be properly installed, three prong outlets must also be grounded.
- 15. There must not be any missing, broken or cracked windows.
- 16. There must not be any water damage (or excessive water damage) caused by leaks.
- 17. The hot water heater tank MUST have a temperature pressure relief valve with a downward discharge pipe made of galvanized steel or copper tubing that is 3 feet long (NO PVC). Two earthquake straps (one in the top third and one in the bottom third) are required for all hot water heaters. If plumber's tape is used as earthquake strap, it must be wrapped completely around the tank. An exception would be in the case of electric water heaters located inside a cupboard, typically under a counter top and commonly referred to as 30 gallon stubbies (these are half the size of a normal water heater. In these instances, one earthquake strap is preferred but Plumbers tape may be used to secure the water heater).
- 18. There cannot be any chipping, peeling paint anywhere on the inside of the unit. There cannot be any chipping peeling paint on the exterior of the unit.
- 19. The floor covering cannot be torn or have holes that can cause someone to trip.
- 20. If there are stairs and railings, they must be secure. Stairs with 4 or more steps requires secure hand railings.
- 21. The roof must not leak. (Check the ceiling for stains.)
- 22. The contract rent must be reasonable based on the rent of comparable units in the area.
- 23. All security bars on windows must have a quick release mechanism.
- 24. All units located east of and including Palm Springs must have a functional cooling system.
- 25. All overhead lights or ceiling fans must be installed properly.
- 26. Remove any inoperable or unregistered vehicles.
- 27. Modifications or adaptations to a unit must meet applicable HQS and building codes.
- 28. Certified Carbon Monoxide Detectors must be installed in all single family. Dwellings having a fossil fuel burning heater or appliance (such as gas stove, or oven), fireplace, or attached garage. (SB183)
Men's Seattle Seahawks New Era Navy Perf Property Original Fit 9FIFTY Adjustable Hat,Dallas Cowboys 11" x 18" Metal Door Decoration,Men's San Diego Chargers '47 Brand Natural Hashmark Pullover Hoodie.Chicago Bears Preschool Navy Blue Field Goal T-Shirt & Shorts Set,Toddler Denver Broncos Orange Team Logo T-Shirt,Atlanta Falcons 3D Foam D-Fence Sign.Youth Dallas Cowboys Navy Hudson Synthetic SST T-Shirt,Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl IV On the Fifty Acrylic Scarf Cheap Dallas Cowboys Jerseys For Sale.New York Jets Infant Tri-Color Zip Front Hoodie & Pant Set - Green/White/Black,Pittsburgh Steelers Football Display Paperweight.Pittsburgh Steelers Retro Springy Legs Bobblehead,Cleveland Browns Rugby Scarf Dallas Cowboys Jerseys Nike.Men's Miami Dolphins Majestic Charcoal Heart & Soul III T-Shirt,Women's Washington Redskins Majestic Burgundy Go For Two IV V-Neck T-Shirt Wholesale Dallas Cowboys Jersey 2016 Cheap.Houston Texans 34" Vinyl-Coated Windshield Decal,Women's Carolina Panthers G-III 4Her by Carl Banks Black Trick Play String Bikini Top,Men's San Francisco 49ers Mitchell & Ness Black On the Fifty Super Bowl XIX Championship Game Hoodie Cheap Dallas Cowboys Brandon Weeden Jersey.Women's Kansas City Chiefs Pro Line Gray Taber Hooded Jacket,New York Giants Preschool Serious Business Long Sleeve T-Shirt - Royal Blue,Men's New York Jets Nike Green Team Stripe T-ShirtThis is a partial list, it lists the most common things a unit fails for.