Occupancy Standards for Housing
The HACB does not determine who shares a bedroom/sleeping room, but there must be at least one person per bedroom on the Voucher. The HACB's subsidy standards for determining voucher size shall be applied in a manner consistent with Fair Housing guidelines. For subsidy standards, an adult is a person eighteen (18) years or older. All standards in this section relate to the number of bedrooms on the Voucher, not the family's actual living arrangements.
Generally, the HACB assigns one bedroom for up to two (2) individuals within the following guidelines:
- Foster children will be included in determining unit size only if they will be in the unit for more than twelve (12) months.
- Children under temporary guardianship for not less than six (6) months, will be included in determining unit size, upon prior verification of guardianship.
- Live-in attendants will generally be provided a separate bedroom. No additional bedrooms are provided for the attendant's family.
- Space will not be provided for a family member, other than a spouse, who will be absent most of the time, such as a member who is away in the military.
- A single pregnant woman (with no other persons) will be treated as a two (2) person family.
- Single person families shall be allocated up to a one (1) bedroom.